July Gallery Night brings the sizzle to downtown Pensacola
8:28 PM, Jul. 18, 2012
Downtown Pensacola celebrates the arts with the July installment of Gallery Night, the ever-popular downtown open house that finds a number of galleries, museums, restaruants, nightclubs and other businesses opening their doors onto streets closed to vehicular traffic, celebrting the best that the downtown area has to offer in art, music and cuisine.
Explore the works of dozens of local artists while enjoying music from local musicians and the sights, smells and tastes of downtown eateries. Many businesses will even provide light refreshments.
The July Gallery Night will also feature an auction for a bulk of the old mechanical parking meter heads that have recently been replaced by parking paystations. Place your bid in front of New York Nick’s, 9-11 Palafox Place.
Street closures during the event will include Palafox Place/South Palafox Street from Intendencia Street to Main Street and Government Street between Palafox Place and Tarragona Street from 5 to 9 p.m. and Palafox Place from Garden Street to Intendencia Street from 5 p.m. to midnight. Street closures are sponsored by Stella Artois and Purus Organic Wheat Vodka from 5 to 9 p.m. and by Hopjacks Pizza Kitchen & Taproom, The Wine Bar on Palafox, The Tin Cow, Helen Back Cafe, Lotus Lounge, PLAY, The Leisure Club and New York Nick’s from 9 p.m. to midnight.
1. Adonna’s Bakery and Café: 114 Palafox Place. Artistic baked goods.
2. Artel Gallery: 223 Palafox Place. Celebrate the talents of local contemporary artists and young performing artists in the historic Old Escambia County Courthouse.
3. Belle Ame’: 112 Palafox Place. Artist Yvette will display her assortment of handmade bath & body products, which will be available for sampling.
4. Blue Morning Gallery: 21 Palafox Place. Meet the artists and enjoy music provided by Elaine Petty and Rhonda Hart. The current show, "Summerfest," features works by Valerie Aune, oil; Joy Emmanuel, mixed media, Mark Schmitt, tile art; and Jim Sweida, photography, paying colorful tribute to summer.
5. Carmen’s Lunch Bar: 407-B S. Palafox St. Carmen’s Lunch Bar will open this summer on Palafox’s fastest developing block. Carmen’s combines the design and concept of a neighborhood bar and marries it with an eclectic menu of fresh, flavorful Southern and International cuisine. Stop by for a sneak peak of the unique location and the food and wines to come!
6. Distinctive Kitchens: 29 Palafox Place. Cooking up a special menu of “Good Eats” in the outdoor kitchen for a small charge.
7. Dog House Deli: 30 Palafox Place. Programming TBA.
8. Don Alan’s: 401 S. Palafox Place. Featuring the fine art and painted glassware of Beege Welborn.
9. Dollarhide’s Music Center: 41 Palafox Place. Programming TBA.
10. Emerald Coast Bike Tours: 701 S. Palafox St.: Offering historic tours by Segway or bicycle, bike rentals and walking pub tours. This is the only Segway tour operator between New Orleans and Clearwater. Stop by the shop to enjoy complimentary beverages and Segway demonstrations. If you've ever wondered what riding a Segway felt like, now is your chance to experience it. Trained tour guides will give visitors ages 14 and older a tutorial and allow them a 5-minute glide. The featured artist will be Fluid Metalworks, showcasing several pieces of metal sculpture.
11. Epic Inc.: 210 E. Government St. Programmig TBA.
12. First United Methodist Church of Pensacola and The Perry Home Coffee House: 2 E. Wright St.: Complimentary refreshments including cookies, coffee, teas and specialty drinks will be available.
13. The Global Grill: 27 Palafox Place. Paintings from local artists including Quenby Tyler, Riece Walton and Reese Foret.
14. Grand Reserve Cigar Shop, 210 Palafox Place. Live msic by a jazz combo.
15. Helen Back Café/Lotus Lounge: 22 Palafox Place. Programming TBA.
16. Hopjacks Pizza Kitchen & Taproom: 10 Palafox Place. Local Mullet performs on the balcony from 6 to 10 p.m. Favored Sons performs inside from 10:00 p.m. to 2 a.m.
17. Indigeaux Denim Bar & Boutique: 122 Palafox Place. The boutique will be showing jewelry from a local artist.
18. Intermission: 214 Palafox Place. Live music by Mitch Kidd.
19. Jewelers Trade Shop: 26 Palafox Place. Programnming TBA.
20. Jordan Valley Café: 128 Palafox Place. Programming TBA.
21. London W1 Hair Salon & Studio: 120 Palafox Place. Programming TBA.
22. Mezza De Luna: 8 Palafox Place. Offering an eclectic range of items including original paintings, furniture, women and men’s apparel, metal and wood sculptures, custom jewelry and more. Offering traditional bread pudding with whiskey sauce and other desserts, along with white wine during Gallery Night.
23. New York Nick’s: 9-11 Palafox Place. Parking meter auction and specials.
24. Palafox Computers Inc.: 111 N. Palafox St.: Local iPhone photographer Cindy Schober will be the featured artist this month. She is an award-winning, published photographer. Sign up for iPhone photography classes. The evening also features live music from Will Caulfield, drinks, food, and special deals on laptops.
25. Pensacola MESS Hall: 21 W. Romana St. Let your mini-masters create art from science.
26. Pensacola Museum of Art: 407 S. Jefferson St.: See the feastured exhibit, “Surfing Florida: A Photographic History.” Dr. James Cunningham, an ethnomusicologist who specializes in Indonesian, Native American and world popular music, will be giving a lecture of the evolution and history of surf music starting at 6:30 p.m.
27. Play: Upstairs at 16 Palafox Place. Programming TBA.
28. Quayside Art Gallery: 17 E. Zaragoza St. Gallery Night will feature a new exhibit, “Up Close with Dianne Brim and Marilyn Givens,” in the East Gallery. Entertainment will be by Fred Bond and the Heartstrings.
29. Ragtyme Grill: 201 S. Jefferson St. Live music.
30. Reynalds Music House: 36 E. Garden St. Introducing the creation of Reynalds Collectibles & Antiques Mall inside Reynalds Music House. Items from multiple dealers will be available. Light refreshments will be served, and there will be live music featuring retro sounds of the Nilo & Ted Band.
31. Seville Quarter: 130 E. Government St: Gallery Night “Art in the Streets” & the Running of the Bulls opening ceremony will take place. Seville Quarter has invited more than 60 local artists and vendors to showcase their skills, crafts and artwork in the street in front of the historical complex. A Chupinazo, or “opening celebration,” is scheduled for 6 p.m. in the streets in front of Seville Quarter, with live entertainment, food, beverages and a procession honoring San Fermin, the patron saint of Pamplona, Spain.
32. Sole Inn and Suites: 200 N. Palafox St. Enjoy live music and local artists.
33. Susan Campbell Jewelry: 32 Palafox Place. See the art of jewelry.
34. The Bodacious Olive: 407-D S. Palafox St. Get a sample of one of downtown Pensacola’s newest businesses.
35. The Great Southern Restaurant Group: The Courtyard at Seville Tower, 226 Palafox Place. Jackson's Steakhouse, The Fish House, Atlas Oyster House and the Deck Bar will present live entertainment from Lucas Crutchfield in the courtyard, along with beer, wine and food specials and the photography of local artist Barrett McClean.
36. The Leisure Club: 126 Palafox Place. Local art and live music.
37. The Spotted Dog: 124 Palafox Place. The featured artist will be professional pet photographer Allison Shamrell.
38. The Tin Cow: 102 Palafox Place. Live music from David Joseph from 7 to 10 p.m.
39. Vinyl Music Hall: 2 Palafox Place. A free concert features Guns N’ Roses tribute band Appetite for Destruction. There is a $5 surcharge for those younger than 21.
40. Wine World Wine Bar: Downstairs at 16 Palafox Place. Enjoy local art in the breezeway.
41. World of Beer: 200 Palafox Place. Grand opening celebration featuring giveaways, complimentary food, beer samples, kids activities and live music from 4 p.m. to 1 a.m., featuring national recording artist Chris Nathan at 9 p.m.
42. Zarzaur Law Firm: 11 E. Romana St.: “Legal Graffiti” offers Gallery Night visitors the ability to perform graffiti art on the north wall of the law firm. Donations are accepted for Northwest Florida Legal Aid. Participants can use only those paints provided and paint only in the areas designated. All ages and expressions are encouraged. Designs will be displayed on Zarzaur Law’s blog and Facebook page.
43. Scout: 403 S. Palafox St. Programming TBA.
44. Saenger Theater: 118 Palafox Place. Join the staff of the Saenger Theatre for a Broadway Open House. Explore the backstage area and dressing rooms. Broadway season tickets will be on sale and all available seats will be tagged. Asia Girl Collection will have freshwater pearls and semi-precious stone jewelry for sale in the lobby.
45. Wide Angle Photo Club: The Wright Place, 80 E. Wright St. The Wide Angle Photo Club is once again participating in Gallery Night with the 19th annual Power of Photography Show and Trade Expo, a benefit for ARC Gateway. The show opens today and closes Sunday in the main room of The Wright Place. More than 90 photographers submitted 751 photos this year. The show showcases more than 300 of the best photos in addition to all submitted youth photos.
46. Pensacola CARE Center: 113 N. Palafox St. At its grand opening, the center will feature art from local artists, food and beverages.